Alexandra Goho's Articles
- FeatureEnergy-efficient, semiconductor-based chips called light-emitting diodes will begin to illuminate homes and offices within the next decade, displacing power-hungry incandescent and fluorescent lighting.
- NewsUsing strands of DNA as movable type, scientists have created a miniaturized printing technique for mass-producing medical diagnostic chips.
- NewsA model crystal made of water-saturated polymer spheres shows that small defects in a crystal can cause it to melt from the inside out.
- NewsA new biosensor that can detect the mass of a single DNA molecule could lead to faster and more accurate screening for HIV infection, cancer, and other diseases.
- NewsChemists have developed a technique for making high-performance lubricating oils from recycled plastic.
- FeatureRecent efforts to unlock a frozen source of natural gas deep under the permafrost and ocean floor have energized prospects for a methane-hydrate industry.
- NewsPortable electronic devices such as laptops and MP3 players could soon run on miniature fuel cells that consume propane.
- NewsThe study of neurological diseases and brain functions could get a lot more precise with the invention of an optical sensor that can closely monitor a key chemical in the brain.
- NewsThe first characterization of the paints used to decorate the margins of Gutenberg Bibles could help guide preservation and future restoration efforts.
- NewsBiomedical engineers aim to repair damaged nerves with a chemically modified conducting polymer that stimulates the growth of nerve cells.