Ashley Yeager's Articles
- Science TickerA protein called PdS15 found in the saliva of the sand fly that spreads leishmaniasis may be used in a vaccine to combat the parasitic scourge causing the illness.
- Science TickerHumans and dogs aren't the only ones that can pass along a yawn. They appear to be contagious among parakeets, too.
- Science TickerNew Caledonian crows safeguard the sticks they use to find food. As the risk of losing the tool increases, the more protective the birds become.
- Growth CurveLearning to swim early in life may boost kids’ learning in language and math.
- Science TickerIdentifying genes linked with sepsis may make it possible to develop a blood test to diagnose the infection days sooner than current methods.
- Science TickerBrown fat is supposed to be the friendly kind, but making the days longer with artificial light may turn it into an enemy in the battle against obesity.
- Science TickerBlue whales and their closest relatives have stretchy nerves near their mouths so they can open wide and swallow a lot of prey.
- Science VisualizedA mouse’s optic nerve fluoresces in a rainbow of colors. The image offers a detailed look at nerve-protector cells called oligodendrocytes.
- NewsLight-activated, human-made particles can align themselves with the flow of a fluid and swim upstream.
- NewsA new dino called Yi qi may have taken to the skies with wings akin to those of pterosaurs and flying squirrels.