Ben Harder's Articles
- FeatureA common imperfection in the structure of the heart may exacerbate obstructive sleep apnea and, in mountaineers, trigger a life-threatening lung condition called high-altitude pulmonary edema.
- NewsSome pollutants accumulate in grizzlies during the bears' hibernation.
- NewsThe theory of entanglement explains a newly observed behavior in a symmetrical hydrogen molecule: When the molecule fractures, the directions in which its constituent particles move are not always random.
- NewsA study of mice has identified a biological mechanism by which medications called atypical antipsychotics cause people to gain weight.
- FeatureA slate of experimental treatments, including three established diabetes drugs, could become medicines for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, an obesity-related cause of cirrhosis.
- NewsA new compound that inhibits the activity of the alertness-promoting brain peptide orexin shows promise as a potential sleeping pill.
- Food for ThoughtA controversial trial of a chemically modified fat called an interesterified fat suggests that it is more harmful than is a partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.
- NewsA controversial trial of a chemically modified fat called an interesterified fat suggests that it is more harmful than is a trans fat–rich, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.
- NewsTwenty young women and 20 young men aced an early challenge in their scientific careers by becoming finalists in the annual Intel Science Talent Search.
- NewsRegular use of aspirin may prevent healthy adults from developing asthma.