Ben Harder's Articles
- NewsNaming a medical trial with an acronym increases the frequency with which other researchers subsequently cite the study.
- Food for ThoughtThe production of ethanol from corn and other crops for fuel could drive up food prices.
Note: To comment, Science News subscribing members must now establish a separate login relationship with Disqus. Click the Disqus icon below, enter your e-mail and click “forgot password” to reset your password. You may also log into Disqus using Facebook, Twitter or Google.X
- NewsSome regional libraries maintained by the Environmental Protection Agency will permanently shut their doors because of a proposed cut to their funding.
- NewsAbnormal conditions during pregnancy can lead in unexpected ways to physiological problems in children once they reach adulthood.
- NewsA compound in a new class of potential anti-cholesterol drugs has passed an early test in people.
- NewsMiniature humans whose prehistoric remains were recently unearthed on an Indonesian island may have had a genetic disease known as Laron syndrome.
- NewsHuman growth hormone has substantial risks and no functional benefits for healthy, elderly people.
- NewsMajor forest fires in the western United States have become more frequent and destructive over the past two decades, in step with rising average temperatures in the region.
- NewsTwo natural ingredients in many hair- and skin-care products act like a female sex hormone and can cause abnormal breast development in boys.
- NewsAllowing doctors-in-training who are on call to hand off to another doctor the pager that summons them to the next patient increases the amount of sleep they get and reduces their fatigue.