Ben Harder's Articles
- Food for ThoughtThe production of ethanol from corn and other crops for fuel could drive up food prices.
- NewsSome regional libraries maintained by the Environmental Protection Agency will permanently shut their doors because of a proposed cut to their funding.
- NewsAbnormal conditions during pregnancy can lead in unexpected ways to physiological problems in children once they reach adulthood.
- NewsA compound in a new class of potential anti-cholesterol drugs has passed an early test in people.
- NewsMiniature humans whose prehistoric remains were recently unearthed on an Indonesian island may have had a genetic disease known as Laron syndrome.
- NewsHuman growth hormone has substantial risks and no functional benefits for healthy, elderly people.
- NewsMajor forest fires in the western United States have become more frequent and destructive over the past two decades, in step with rising average temperatures in the region.
- NewsTwo natural ingredients in many hair- and skin-care products act like a female sex hormone and can cause abnormal breast development in boys.
- NewsAllowing doctors-in-training who are on call to hand off to another doctor the pager that summons them to the next patient increases the amount of sleep they get and reduces their fatigue.
- FeatureWhile no drug or lab test is approved to treat or diagnose chronic fatigue syndrome, new research into the biology of the disorder may begin to shed light on the problem.