Brian Vastag's Articles
- NewsSmoking increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by up to 61 percent.
- NewsThe unsanctioned use of an obscure hallucinogen, ibogaine, to treat addiction has exploded recently.
- NewsA genetic test designed to tailor drug treatment for depression offers little clinical value, says a CDC panel.
- NewsA 500,000-year-old Homo erectus skull from Turkey may show telltale signs of tuberculosis, by far the earliest such evidence of the disease.
- NewsOverweight children grow up to have an elevated risk for blocked coronary arteries as adults, a long-term Danish study finds.
- FeatureIn their quest to cure type 1 diabetes, scientists are finding that turning stem cells into insulin-producing beta cells is a lot harder than it first appeared.
- NewsUsing a new technique to turn skin cells into stem cells, scientists have corrected sickle cell anemia in mice.
- NewsScientists have observed Plasmodium falciparum enjoying three distinct lifestyles—two of which have never been seen before—in the blood of infected children.
- NewsA single population of prehistoric Siberians crossed the Bering Strait into Alaska and fanned out to North and South America, a new genetic analysis of living Native Americans suggests.
- NewsAn HIV vaccine hurts, not helps, the immune systems of mice, say scientists.