Brian Vastag's Articles
- NewsUp to 20 percent of 9/11 workers in New York City experience symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease, also called acid reflux.
- NewsThe most common inherited cause of mental retardation arises when a mutated gene is shut down early in embryonic development.
- NewsNew analysis of 25-year-old blood samples indicates that HIV reached the United States in about 1969, 12 years before AIDS was first formally described.
- NewsWith drug treatment, HIV-infected people no longer suffer from wasting but are about as overweight or obese as the U.S. population as a whole.
- NewsA virus that causes debilitating fever and joint pain has spread from Africa to Italy, where it has caused at least 284 cases of illness.
- NewsRepeat episodes of Lyme disease are more likely caused by a second tick bite rather than by a return of the original illness.
- NewsChildren whose stomachs carry the bacterium Helicobacter pylori are at lower risk for asthma than children who don't have the bug.
- FeatureEpidemiologists and social scientists are tapping into virtual online worlds inhabited by millions to collect data with real-world uses.
- NewsCommon songbirds such as starlings may be able to carry and spread avian influenza.
- NewsAcinetobacter baumannii, a common bacterium, is becoming more virulent and drug resistant in hospitals.