Brian Vastag's Articles
- NewsVulnerable people such as the very old or the mentally ill do not seek out physician-assisted suicide in disproportionate numbers, as critics of the practice feared they would.
- NewsIn chronically lonely people, white blood cells show abnormal gene activity that may affect health through immune responses.
- NewsThimerosal, a mercury-containing vaccine preservative, shows no signs of causing memory, attention or other problems in children.
- NewsThe first reported gene for height can account for almost a centimeter of difference among people who have different versions of it.
- FeatureBenefiting from decades of research that took place behind the Iron Curtain, Western physicians are discovering Rhodiola rosea, a cold-weather herb that purportedly fights fatigue and boosts energy.
- NewsA popular diabetes drug significantly increases the risk of heart failure and heart attack in those who take it.
- NewsAn enhanced ability to digest starch may have given early humans an evolutionary advantage over their ape relatives.
- NewsMicrobes locked in 500,000-year-old permafrost appear to breathe and show other signs of very slow life.
- NewsAnalysis of sewage gauges community-wide use of illegal drugs.
- NewsMaking carbon nanotubes also produces a lot of airborne carcinogens.