Brian Vastag's Articles
- NewsA photosensitive molecule makes switching off a gene as simple as flicking on a light.
- NewsCorn engineered to produce collagen may someday replace slaughterhouse leftovers as a source of gelatin.
- NewsSome cases of obesity may result from infection by a virus that can transform adult stem cells into fat-storing cells.
- NewsA gene variant that increases the risk for attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder in young children also helps the problem resolve by the teen years.
- NewsWorkers who rotate between day and night shifts have less of the brain chemical serotonin than day shift workers do.
- NewsDisabling a chemical-sniffing organ crucial for courting behavior makes girl mice act like frisky boys.
- NewsA man who spent 6 years in a minimally conscious state regained the ability to talk, eat, and move after doctors implanted electrodes deep in his brain.
- NewsA popular anticholesterol drug reduces older adults' chances of developing dementia.
- NewsA nursing home cat in Rhode Island knows when the end is nigh, predicting with uncanny accuracy when residents will die.
- NewsThree genetic variations picked out by powerful whole-genome scans help explain why some people develop AIDS quickly while others keep it at bay.