Brian Vastag's Articles
- NewsA jogger wearing an iPod music player suffered second-degree ear and neck burns, burst eardrums, and jaw fractures after lightning struck a nearby tree.
- NewsTransplants of human-brain stem cells triggered signs of improvement in monkeys with a Parkinson's disease–like disorder.
- NewsLife-long smoking cuts the chance of getting Parkinson's disease by about half.
- FeatureAfter a meteoric rise, stents coated with drugs to prevent renarrowing of clogged arteries have begun to fall from favor among cardiologists.
- FeatureThe brain constantly sprouts new neurons, a recently discovered phenomenon that neuroscientists and drugmakers are working to understand and harness.
- NewsIn a sweeping demonstration of the power of the new biology, researchers have linked two dozen genetic variations to six major diseases.
- NewsA new map of where SARS or Ebola might erupt next highlights North America and Western Europe as likely sources.
- NewsFruit bats in Bangladesh regularly trigger small outbreaks of Nipah virus, a measleslike pathogen that causes brain inflammation and death.
- NewsPhages, viruses that infect bacteria, dissolve plaques in the brains of mice with an Alzheimer's-like disease.
- NewsHoney from New Zealand gums up bacteria, offering a potential new means of combating difficult-to-treat infections.