Brian Vastag's Articles
- NewsSusceptibility to radiation-induced tumors runs in families.
- NewsAlmost half of Spanish couples who were asked recently to donate excess embryos for stem cell research did so.
- NewsPrisoners killed by lethal injection may be conscious and experience pain and burning sensations while they asphyxiate.
- NewsOlder women with osteoporosis who received yearly infusions of a drug that prevents bone loss had far fewer fractures than did peers who didn't get the drug.
- NewsAdults 65 and older who report depressive symptoms are 50 to 60 percent more likely to develop diabetes than are their peers.
- NewsResponding to a surge in tough-to-treat gonorrhea, the CDC has stopped recommending Cipro-class antibiotics for the disease.
- NewsA new influenza vaccine churned out by caterpillar cells infected with a genetically engineered virus effectively prevents the flu.
- NewsFor the first time, researchers report drug resistance in type B influenza virus and say the drug-resistant strain may jump from person to person.
- NewsA new tool cools asthma by heating lung tissue to kill overgrown smooth muscle in airways, a hallmark of the disease.
- NewsA disproportionate number of heart disease deaths among firefighters occur during blazes.