Carolyn Barry's Articles
- FeatureScientists are refining carbon dating techniques to make the archaeological timeline more precise.
- FeatureReversing earlier advice, health authorities now say that babies of HIV-positive mothers in poor countries have a better chance of avoiding infection if they feed only on breast milk that's not supplemented with other food.
- NewsOrangutans try to communicate by gesturing when they think they're being misunderstood, much as people do when playing charades.
- NewsEarth owes its oxygen-rich atmosphere to a change in volcanic activity about 2.5 billion years ago.
- NewsSome nectar-feeding bats metabolize sugars as rapidly as hummingbirds do.
- FeatureThe events of 9/11 put new urgency into efforts to design buildings able to withstand the structural damage that fire can cause.
- NewsA Central American beetle changes color in a novel way, using its body fluid to control the reflectivity of its shell.
- NewsA treatment plant in India that processes waste from drug factories feeds enormous amounts of antibiotics and other drugs into local waterways.
- NewsChemicals used to disperse marine oil spills are more harmful to coral than the oil itself.
- NewsWater and sugar molecules play a previously unsuspected role in the way that a ubiquitous receptor passes chemical messages between cells.