Authored Articles' Articles
- ScreentimeThe “Eyes on Pluto” app lets you ride alongside New Horizons for a simulated preview of the spacecraft’s impending encounter with the dwarf planet.
- Culture BeakerBy mining public databases of people’s photos, researchers can explore changing landscapes and tourist behavior.
- Science TickerBoas actually kill by constricting blood flow of their prey, not suffocating them, as scientists previously suspected.
- Growth CurveA study carefully documents newborns’ instinctual behaviors in the first hour outside the womb, observations that paint a picture of what babies might need in the moments after birth.
- Science TickerJust one Pluto-day to go until New Horizons tears past the dwarf planet and its moons.
- The Name GameAfrica’s golden jackals are really a species of wolf and deserve a name change, DNA evidence indicates.
- News in BriefThe lack of a digestive organ in fish and other animals is linked to genetics.
- FeatureFor millennia, humans have harnessed the power of clocks to schedule prayers, guide ocean voyages and, lately, to chart the universe.
- NewsScientists have used gene therapy to restore hearing in deaf mice.
- Growth CurveSome sleep machines can pump out a dangerous amount of noise, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be used safely.