Christen Brownlee's Articles
- NewsThe 2006 Nobel prizes in the sciences were announced this week, and all five winners are U.S. scientists.
- NewsAlzheimer's disease may start with a single abnormal protein that spoils other proteins nearby.
- NewsThe 1918 Spanish flu virus may have launched an intense immune attack that devastated patients' lungs.
- NewsThe world's most widely used organic insecticide appears to rely on an insect's normal gut flora to do its dirty work.
- NewsResearchers have sequenced the genome of a tree for the first time.
- FeatureNew research may soon make treating venomous bites and stings less expensive, less risky, and more effective.
- NewsEating protein appears to boost blood concentrations of a hormone recently found to restrict appetite.
- NewsStem cells can sense the texture of whatever medium they're growing on and use this quality to guide their fate.
- NewsBy inserting a gene into normal immune cells isolated from melanoma patients, scientists have turned the cells into cancer fighters.
- NewsSperm stored inside frozen organs or whole animals can produce healthy offspring years later.