Christopher Crockett's Articles
- FeatureIf people ever travel beyond the solar system, the newly discovered exoplanet around Proxima Centauri is likely to be a first stop.
- NewsStrong magnetic fields could provide a way for massive stars to create heavy black holes when they die.
- The Name GameThe names of 227 stars have been formally recognized by the International Astronomical Union.
- NewsDark galaxies might owe their existence to multiple rounds of prolific star birth and death that eject gas and stretch out their homes, new simulations suggest.
- News in BriefSputnik Planitia, the left half of Pluto’s heart-shaped region, might have been carved out by the weight of thick layers of ice built up billions of years ago.
- FeatureAstronomers are detecting hundreds of galaxies that are almost devoid of stars. There are at least four theories on how they got that way.
- News in BriefAn uncharted supercluster of galaxies lurks about 800 million light-years away, partly hidden by the Milky Way.
- NewsThe brightest fast radio burst has been detected, while another team reveals a previous burst might have carried gamma rays as well as radio waves across space.
- ScreentimeGleamoscope, an interactive map, lets you explore the Milky Way galaxy and the nearby universe in many different electromagnetic frequencies.
- Science TickerNew telescope images show rings and spiral arms in disks encircling young stars, suggesting the presence of actively growing planets.