Dan Garisto's Articles
- 50 Years AgoApollo 7 crewmembers underwent their first major tests 50 years ago. Today, U.S. astronauts struggle to get into space.
- FeatureResearchers have recently uncovered a diverse array of mechanisms that allow plants to move — often faster than the blink of an eye.
- News in BriefFootprints of humans and giant sloths show a dramatic chase sequence from more than 10,000 years ago.
- News in BriefUsing a DNA study and genetic engineering, researchers tripled the amount of an antimalarial compound naturally produced by sweet wormwood plants.
- NewsThe latest research on coral reefs clarifies the devastation of heat waves and looks at how coral might be able to adapt to warming waters.
- The Name GamePluto’s largest moon, Charon, now has 12 new names for its topological features.
- NewsGenetic analysis suggests that sweet potatoes were present in Polynesia over 100,000 years ago, and didn’t need help crossing the Pacific.
- News in BriefA man ate one of the hottest peppers in the world. About a minute later, his head began pounding.
- Science TickerPositions of king penguins in a breeding colony resemble molecules in a 2-D liquid.
- NewsBirds can sense magnetic fields, thanks to internal compasses that likely rely on changes to proteins in the retina.