David Shiga's Articles
- NewsAstronomers have found the first evidence of a suspected population of black holes near the Milky Way's center, each hole with 10 times the mass of the sun.
- NewsThe dusty disks surrounding three nearby stars show that they played host to massive collisions between asteroid-like objects as recently as 100 years ago.
- NewsNew X-ray observations provide the most detailed view yet of the environment near a supermassive black hole.
- FeatureScientists are for the first time getting a feel for how proteins fold and unfold.
- NewsTissue engineers have for the first time used genetically modified human stem cells to repair damaged hearts in guinea pigs.
- NewsControversy flared over the link between climate change and increasing storm activity at the first international climate change meeting since the implementation of the Kyoto Protocol was assured.
- NewsA new technique using altitude-dependent differences in fossil leaves may make it possible to chronicle the rise and fall of mountain ranges over millions of years.
- NewsAir pollution does long-term damage to people's arteries, leading to increased risk of heart attack and stroke, a Los Angeles study confirms.
- NewsA drug tested in mice prevents gallstones by stimulating a gene that controls levels of different chemicals in the gallbladder.
- NewsObjects in the distant reservoir of comets known as the Kuiper belt are intrinsically much brighter, and therefore smaller, than previously thought.