Davide Castelvecchi's Articles
- NewsExperiments have given additional evidence that a future generation of X-ray sources called free-electron lasers may be able to image single biomolecules.
- NewsBiophysicists have put neurons on a chip and induced them to form multiple patterns of synchronized firing, the mechanism at the basis of memory.
- NewsThe wavelike behavior of energy in chlorophyll might explain how plants are so efficient at using solar energy.
- NewsThe physics of pedestrian flows could help prevent stampedes such as the one that killed hundreds during a pilgrimage to Mecca in 2006.
- NewsA new type of fuel cell uses natural enzymes to produce small amounts of electricity from sugar.
- NewsViolations of Newtonian physics could explain away dark matter.
- NewsAmoebas seem to possess a rudimentary form of memory that keeps them from walking around in circles.
- NewsInvisibility cloaks may be a long shot, but new optical tricks could help in the design of future computers.
- NewsPhysicists can now observe matter as it gradually turns into a Bose-Einstein condensate—the exotic state of matter that displays quantum behavior at macroscopic scales.