Erica Klarreich's Articles
- FeatureMathematicians are creating an atlas of solar system highways along which spacecraft can coast using no fuel.
- NewsA new analysis may have put the final piece in the puzzle of how the Moon formed.
- FeatureA new mathematical model estimates how many medieval manuscripts have survived to the present.
- NewsComputers have discovered a new largest prime number with a whopping 7,816,230 digits.
- FeatureA mathematical equation helps explain life processes on all biological scales, from molecules to ecosystems.
- NewsA new mathematical model suggests that the presence of nearby hospitals may give a hospital an economic incentive to relax its infection-control efforts.
- NewsComplex networks, including the World Wide Web, have a common architecture with snowflakes and trees.
- NewsResearchers have developed a mathematical model that helps explain how cooperation and cheating evolve among simple organisms.
- FeatureResearchers are helping to turn the art of generating randomness into a precise science.
- NewsA new mathematical tool distills painting style into an array of statistics as a potential means to spot forgeries.