Erica Klarreich's Articles
- NewsA Russian mathematician has proposed a proof of the Poincaré conjecture, a question about the shapes of three-dimensional spaces.
- FeatureResearchers are gearing up to create cells with computer programs hardwired into the DNA.
- NewsMathematicians have taken a significant step toward proving the twin-prime conjecture by simplifying formulas for estimating the average spacing of primes.
- FeatureAn alternative approach to quantum computing takes advantage of space-time knots and braids.
- FeatureBy ignoring how voters might rank all the candidates in an election, the plurality system opens the floodgates to unsettling, paradoxical results when there are three or more candidates.