Erika Engelhaupt's Articles
- Gory DetailsGory Details blogger Erika Engelhaupt left Science News earlier this year. In a farewell post and in honor of Halloween, she reminisces about some of her favorite, and scariest, posts.
- Gory DetailsChildren as young as 2 years old feel joy at another’s misfortune, new research suggests, showing jealousy’s deep roots.
- Gory DetailsA new map shows that Americans’ front door frames are coated in gut-dwelling microbes.
- Gory DetailsDining on invasive fish such as snakehead and lionfish can reduce their numbers, but we can’t entirely eat our way out this problem.
- Gory DetailsDNA analysis finds no Bigfoot, no yeti, two weird bears and one scientist on a quest for the truth.
- Gory Details50,000-year-old fossil poop hints at Neanderthals’ omnivorous, but meat-heavy, diet.
- Gory DetailsTo measure how aggressive a person is, psychologists turn to voodoo dolls and hot sauce.
- Gory DetailsDespite what the Internet says, urine does contain bacteria, a new study finds. And so does your brain, the womb, and pretty much everywhere else.
- Gory DetailsA fuzzy green anemone eating a bird many times its size shows that you can’t take anything for granted when it comes to which animals can eat each other.
- Gory DetailsJust about everyone draws faces with the eyes too high and a low Neandertal forehead, maybe because of the way we perceive the shape of the head.