Ewen Callaway's Articles
- FeaturePhysicists use atom interferometry to measure gravity and other forces with unrivaled precision, and the technique could potentially guide airplanes and uncover buried caches of oil and diamonds.
- NewsThe African naked mole-rat doesn't feel pain from acid or chilies, a possible adaptation to its cramped underground habitat.
- NewsMauna Loa, Hawaii's most massive volcano, may be splitting the Earth's crust.
- NewsBy reshuffling the chemical letters of the genetic code, scientists have made short strands of DNA that can distinguish several different smells, such as explosives and food preservatives.
- NewsA parasitic worm transforms ants into walking tropical berries.
- NewsMice with a stretch of bat DNA grow longer limbs, a possible step in the evolutionary path to wings.