Gabriel Popkin's Articles
- News in BriefA study of clouds on a nearby brown dwarf reveals partial cloud cover.
- News in BriefTiny hairlike sensors made from nanomaterials are more sensitive than existing devices to detect tiny pressures.
- NewsAstronomers say they have glimpsed a brightly lit strand of the cosmic web, the universe’s underlying structure
- IntroducingMimicking sea creatures instead of insects leads to better hovering, scientists find.
- NewsVast reservoirs of previously undetected gas could account for much of galaxies’ matter, solving a cosmic mystery.
- FeatureA biologist who formerly applied his mathematical talents in finance has developed new ways of predicting the ups and downs of fish populations.
- NewsA simulation paves the way toward metamaterials that can perform ultrafast complex mathematical operations using light waves.
- NewsA unique stellar threesome could help astronomers test the leading theory of gravity to unprecedented precision.
- News in BriefSatellite images reveal that the tropical trees are expanding north up Florida’s Atlantic coast, taking advantage of rising winter temperatures.
- FeatureA visitor from the outer solar system flies past the sun.