Jessa Netting's Articles
- NewsAfrican Americans with a mutation in a blood-clotting gene have a sixfold increase in the risk of heart disease, but this is not the case for white Americans with the same mutation.
- NewsX-ray crystallography shows that statins impede the build-up of cholesterol by physically blocking the binding site of an enzyme important for cholesterol production.
- NewsResearchers have uncovered genetic variations controlling a calorie-draining spigot in the body.
- NewsScientists have altered a live polio virus, inducing it to target and kill brain tumor cells without causing polio.
- NewsThe protein encoded by the normal form of BRCA1 attaches to DNA directly, seeks out unusual DNA structures, and joins multiple DNA strands together—all activities suggesting a direct role in DNA repair.
- FeatureForsaking life in the outside world, endosymbiotic bacteria of some insects traded freedom and nutrients for life inside a cell.
- NewsThe hippocampus may be the seat of powerful cravings for cocaine in rats and play a key role in drug-addiction relapse.
- NewsFat in the heart may kill cells and eventually lead to heart failure.
- NewsThe completed genome sequence of Staphylococcus aureus reveals transfers from other organisms of many of the antibiotic-resistance and virulence genes.
- NewsPatterns of mild electrical disturbance in the brains of epilepsy patients appear to foreshadow a seizure hours before its onset.