Jessa Netting's Articles
- NewsEvidence from studies with dachshunds and poodles is suggesting that these small breeds may serve as better models than larger dogs, such as Labrador retrievers, for the more genetically complex narcolepsy in people.
- NewsCancer cells may spread using the same system that immune system cells use to move through the body.
- NewsA gene that orchestrates ovary and eyelid development may be the key to early-onset menopause.
- NewsResearchers report that defects in either of two specific genes may be responsible for DiGeorge syndrome, the second most common cause of congenital heart defects in newborns.
- NewsResearchers studying an induced condition in mice akin to multiple sclerosis have stumbled across a situation in which mice suffered a severe allergic reaction to injected protein fragments that mimic one their own proteins.
- NewsA suite of genes lights up when researchers probe for cancer.
- NewsThe mapped human genome begins to reveal its secrets.
- NewsA leukemia cell seals its own fate when researchers trap cancer-causing proteins in its nucleus.
- NewsThe genome of a toxic Escherichia coli strain shows that the pathogen had picked up chunks of DNA from unrelated, ineffective bacteria, acquiring unpleasant traits that can send people to the hospital.
- NewsA molecule called CHIP slates bad proteins for destruction and may lead to heart disease therapies.