Jessica Shugart's Articles
- FeatureCertain sugar molecules in human breast milk do more to foster beneficial microbes, and banish harmful ones, than they do to nourish newborns.
- News in BriefToxic remnants of gold rush will seep into San Francisco area waterways for millennia.
- NewsReptiles prefer to live in places aboriginal people have burned.
- NewsPeering through a peephole can bring flat images to life.
- NewsTreatment shields healthy cells from gamma ray attack but lets tumors die.
- News in BriefGlobal temperatures will take a permanent leap above historical bounds by 2047 if greenhouse gas emissions continue unabated, a simulation suggests.
- News in BriefDuring a journey of 200 days, the birds eat, rest and migrate without touching the ground.
- FeatureThe NEPTUNE observatory — a ring of six underwater research stations connected to the Internet with fiber optic cables — is the first online observatory to brave the depths of the abyss.
- NewsA timekeeping brain molecule steadies the beat of the circadian clock, while stopping it allows for a quick reset.
- News in BriefOrgans grown in a lab dish do their job when transplanted into mice.