John Pickrell's Articles
- NewsA newly found fossil skull may clear up an ongoing debate about whether the human ancestor Homo erectus was a single or several species.
- NewsScientists find that hunting is the likely cause of New Zealand's prehistoric bird extinctions rather than habitat destruction or pest introduction.
- NewsA rejuvenated Hubble Space Telescope floated away from the space shuttle Columbia on March 9 after astronauts spent a week renovating the observatory.
- NewsNew genetic evidence suggests that crabs aren't all close relatives and their characteristic shape evolved independently on numerous occasions.
- NewsResearchers are enlisting a person's own immune system to attack prostate tissue, including cancerous cells.
- NewsResearchers have measured the amount of static charge that a walking house fly generates.
- NewsA new study of lynx in North America suggests the animals interbreed widely, sometimes with populations thousands of kilometers away.
- NewsFear of bioterrorism has led the World Health Organization to postpone its 2002 deadline for destruction of smallpox virus stocks so that scientists can refine current vaccines and improve defenses against the disease.