John Travis' Articles
- NewsCells from human embryos can be transformed into heart cells or insulin-secreting cells.
- NewsFueled only by promising studies of cells, a California research team has invited controversy by beginning to give a little-used malaria drug to patients who have the human version of mad cow disease.
- NewsA panel reviewing human cloning heard the pros and cons of the issue during a fiery debate.
- NewsPresident Bush said he would support work on stem cells that already had been propagated from embryos otherwise fated for disposal in fertility clinics, but he opposes financing the destruction of additional embryos to create new cell lines.
- NewsThe world's first genetically engineered salt-tolerant tomato plant may help farmers utilize spoiled lands.
- NewsSmall rings of amino acids can self-assemble into tubes that punch holes in bacteria.
- NewsLong-dismissed brain chemicals called trace amines have receptors on human cells and may play a role in depression and schizophrenia.
- NewsThe side-effects of radiation therapy may result from initial damage to blood vessels.
- FeatureCholesterol-lowering drugs may also treat or prevent Alzheimer's disease.