John Travis' Articles
- FeatureCells use ribonucleic acids that bind to small molecules such as vitamins to control gene activity.
- NewsScientists announced that they have deciphered the full DNA sequence of the standard lab rat, setting the stage for a new flurry of biomedical research on this rodent and providing insight into mammalian evolution.
- NewsThe maturing lungs of a fetus may signal the mother when it's time for labor.
- NewsChanging a human enzyme so that it resembles one from blood-sucking insects may lead to a new treatment for strokes.
- NewsScientists are studying germfree zebra fish to better understand how microbes influence gut development.
- NewsAn unusual strand of RNA guides stem cells to transform into neurons.
- FeatureResearchers are racing to identify tumor-forming stem cells in skin, lung, pancreatic, and many other cancers.
- NewsA computer model of bubonic plague suggests rats can harbor the disease for years before a human epidemic breaks out.
- NewsScientists may have come up with a new explanation for how a woman's biological clock works.
- NewsSnippets of DNA that activate a cell's DNA repair process may protect mice from skin cancer caused by ultraviolet radiation.