Neuroscience writer Laura Sanders reports on the latest mysteries of the mind and blogs about the science of raising kids. She earned her Ph.D. in molecular biology from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, where she studied the nerve cells that compel a fruit fly to perform a dazzling mating ritual full of singing and dancing. Convinced that she was missing some exciting science development somewhere, Laura turned her eye toward writing about brains in all shapes and forms. Laura's research has been published in scientific journals including Current Biology, Developmental Biology and PLOS Biology. She holds undergraduate degrees in creative writing and biology from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, where she was a National Merit Scholar. Her 2012 series on consciousness won an Eddie Award for editorial excellence.
Laura Sanders' Articles
- NewsThe patient's amnesia was probably due to the loss of other regions and neural connections.
- NewsThe mantis shrimp sees each color separately with one of a dozen kinds of specialized cells, a system that may help the animal quickly see colors without a lot of brainpower.
- Growth CurveTo help your baby get the most out of story time, turn the story into a conversation, not a monologue.
Note: To comment, Science News subscribing members must now establish a separate login relationship with Disqus. Click the Disqus icon below, enter your e-mail and click “forgot password” to reset your password. You may also log into Disqus using Facebook, Twitter or Google.X
- NewsA balance measures the tiny changes in force due to blood flow behind a person's thoughts.
- Growth CurveWhat do babies see all day? Faces. Lots of faces.X
- News in BriefTaking the stimulant after learning new information boosted people’s recall the next day.
- NewsHaloperidol reshapes neurons, which might explain how the medicine works.
- Growth CurveHigh pitched, cutesy voices prove irresistible to infants.X
- NewsStudy of pot-blocking brain chemical in rodents could lead to new treatments for cannabis addiction.
- FeatureIn April, the president announced an ambitious plan to reveal the human brain’s secrets.