Meghan Rosen's Articles
- NewsEarly birds and other flying dinosaurs had the strong legs and wing speed needed to launch into the air directly from the ground, researchers argue.
- NewsThe fossil of a 423-million-year-old armored fish from China suggests that the jaws of all modern land vertebrates and bony fish originated in a bizarre group of animals called placoderms.
- NewsOldest avian voice box fossil yet discovered belonged to a ducklike bird that lived during the age of the dinosaurs.
- Reviews & Previews'How to Make a Spaceship' chronicles the XPRIZE challenge that helped ignite the private space industry.
- NewsThe 2016 Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine was awarded to Yoshinori Ohsumi for his work on autophagy, a process that cells use to break down old parts for future use.
- Science TickerZika virus infects embryonic cranial cells in lab-grown minibrains, potentially altering face and skull shape and brain development, and maybe even contributing to microcephaly.
- NewsInfection with Zika virus in utero can trigger a spectrum of birth defects beyond microcephaly, and could potentially cause long-term health problems as well.
- Science TickerThanks to wide-spread vaccination against the viral disease, measles has officially been declared eliminated from the Americas.
- FeatureMaterials scientist Qian Chen is coaxing nanomaterials to self-assemble in new and unexpected ways.
- The –estA 77-million-year-old flying reptile may be the smallest pterosaur of the Late Cretaceous.