Patrick Barry's Articles
- FeaturePersonal genomics companies offer forecasts of disease risk, but the science behind the packaging is still evolving.
- NewsResearchers have made the first maps of corporate stock ownership for the stock markets of a large number of countries, 48 in all. The analysis reveals that a few big players constitute backbones of ownership.
- NewsResearchers have detailed one way for hairlike structures to drive liquid in a "lab on a chip."
- NewsIron-based materials allow 3-D current flow, open new doors for understanding superconductivity.
- NewsA team is the first to transfer a qubit, which contains quantum information, from one atom to another, a feat that could aid quantum computing and secure communication.
- FeatureScientists sift through genetic data sets to better map twisting branches in the tree of life.
- NewsNanoscale MRI-like machine images individual virus shapes; first step to seeing proteins in 3-D
- NewsA mathematician fine-tunes how to blend crime records, geography to track down serial criminals.
- NewsNew equations help solve decades-old puzzle of why one species doesn’t always outcompete another.
- NewsA study of the physics of phonons, quantum packets of heat, suggests that controlling the flow of heat could be another way to store digital information.