Ron Cowen's Articles
- NewsNASA reveals the first 360-degree panorama of the sun, which should enable early detection of potentially damaging solar storms.
- NewsSimulations suggest some slow-burning remnants of the early universe may still exist.
- NewsThe Kepler mission releases information on hundreds of newly discovered candidate planets beyond the solar system, including about 50 that could be habitable.
- NewsThe Hubble space telescope has observed what may be the most distant celestial object ever observed 13.2 billion light-years from Earth.
- NewsNew close-up images of Phobos will help determine the landing site for the first craft slated to touch down there.
- NewsCiting a lack of funds, the U.S. Department of Energy has essentially pulled out of the race to make the next great discovery in particle physics.
- NewsGalaxy M87's massive heart weighs as much as 6.6 billion suns.
- NewsSurvey's first results reveal the largest galaxy clusters and most frigid objects found in universe so far.
- NewsPositrons appear to be common in terrestrial lightning storms.
- NewsAstronomers have confirmed a rocky planet outside the solar system for the first time.