Ron Cowen's Articles
- NewsUnusually rapid fluctuations in the output of a supernova remnant send theorists scuttling for a reasonable explanation.
- NewsAstronomers may have witnessed the activation of a dormant supermassive black hole in a distant galaxy.
- NewsAn underground experiment in the U.S. bolsters the case that Earth plows through a halo of dark matter particles.
- Deleted ScenesSpeculation suggests that a long-sought particle may be at hand, but most physicists remain skeptical.
- NewsPluto appears to trail a cometlike cloud of gas.
- NewsA previously unknown reservoir of frozen carbon dioxide could periodically vaporize, thickening the atmosphere and allowing liquid water to flow on the Red Planet’s surface.
- NewsEurope is now on its own for two planned spacecraft to study black holes and gravitational waves.
- Deleted ScenesMuseums in New York, California, Florida and Virginia will display the four spacecraft after their final mission in June.
- NewsA hundred days of solitude for an experiment designed to rendezvous with the universe's missing mass put new limits on the elusive material's properties.