Sarah Williams' Articles
- NewsThe earliest stars in the universe might have been fueled by dark matter instead of nuclear fusion.
- FeatureUnderstanding estrogen's function is complicated by the fact that it can bind to two distinct receptors; scientists studying the second receptor now think that drugs targeting it could help a wide variety of ailments.
- NewsA distant galaxy is shooting a deadly jet of radiation at a neighboring galaxy, astronomers have observed.
- FeatureLittle progress has been made this decade in reducing the size of the Gulf of Mexico's dead zone, a massive area of oxygen-depleted water caused by agricultural and urban runoff.
- NewsThe Milky Way galaxy possesses a distinct outer halo that orbits in the opposite direction from its inner halo and the rest of the galaxy.
- NewsA molecular pump meant to transport iodine also concentrates perchlorate, an environmental pollutant, in breast milk.
- NewsThe Venus Express probe has found evidence that Venus once had more water than it does today, and has provided new measurements of the weather on Venus, proof of lightning on the planet, and signs of a formerly unknown hot spot near its south pole.
- NewsNigersaurus boasted more than 500 teeth, arranged in rows across its mouth.
- NewsA novel sensor the size of a rice grain can detect magnetic fields as small as those produced by brain or heart waves.
- NewsA molecule that pierces immune cells gives some aggressive antibiotic-resistant staph bacteria their fearsome virulence.