Science News Staff's Articles
- Science TickerPhysicists with the Large Hadron Collider beauty experiment have identified two new particles called Xi_b'- and Xi_b*-.
- Science TickerThe Philae lander has depleted its batteries and gone into idle mode, probably drawing to a close the surface-based study of comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.
- Letters to the EditorReaders ask questions about a study on sweeteners, how scientists recognize primitive tools and the purpose of a dinosaur's sail.
- Science TickerSemen seems to inhibit most microbicides from killing HIV, but one that targets a receptor on cells remains effective, suggesting a promising approach against HIV.
- Science TickerOften overlooked as vocalists, giant otters make 22 different calls as adults and 11 kinds of baby babble.
- Science TickerThe snake Rhabdophis tigrinus seeks out toxic toads to eat when breeding. The snakes can then pass the poisons on to her offspring as chemical defenses.
- Science TickerWomen who get a booster shot against whooping cough, or pertussis, during pregnancy don’t increase their risk of having a problem birth, and they boost their babies’ immunity to the disease.
- Science TickerLong-term marijuana use may lead to reduced gray matter and increased white matter connectivity in the brain.
- Science TickerComet Siding Spring dumped several tons of material into the Martian atmosphere that could have damaged NASA spacecraft.
- Science TickerThe melodious birds share a humanlike bias for notes mathematically related by simple integers.