Sid Perkins is a freelance science writer based in Crossville, Tenn.
Sid Perkins' Articles
- Reviews & PreviewsIn "Cannibalism", a zoologist explores a grisly topic that scientists have only recently begun to study seriously.
- Reviews & Previews"Furry Logic" explores how animals rely on the laws of physics in pursuit of food, sex and survival.
- FeatureThe race is on to find about 140 predicted carbon-based minerals in locations around the world. Map included.
- Reviews & PreviewsThe Long, Long Life of Trees explores the scientific, historical and cultural significance of apple, birch, elm and 14 other kinds of trees.
- Reviews & PreviewsIn Venomous and The Sting of the Wild, researchers delve into the world of venomous creatures and the scientists who study them.
- Reviews & PreviewsIn a new book, a firefly researcher explores why scientists and kids alike are captivated by lightning bugs.
- Reviews & PreviewsAmerica’s Snake looks past timber rattlesnake’s fearsome reputation and delves into the fascinating biology of this iconic serpent.
- Reviews & PreviewsIn Eruption, a science writer recounts the societal, economic and geologic forces that contributed to the Mount St. Helens disaster.
- Reviews & PreviewsIn Origins, a science writer compiles an ambitious yet concise history of the universe and life on Earth.
- Reviews & PreviewsIn The Last Volcano, a geologist profiles Thomas Jaggar, one of the 20th century’s most influential volcanologists.