Sid Perkins is a freelance science writer based in Crossville, Tenn.
Sid Perkins' Articles
- Reviews & PreviewsIn Skeletons, two paleobiologists recount how and why skeletons evolved, as well as the variety of forms they take and the many purposes they serve.
- Reviews & PreviewsDarwin’s Fossils recounts how finding extinct species in South America helped Charles Darwin develop his theory of evolution.
- Reviews & Previews'The Aliens Among Us' describes how invasive species are colonizing — and disrupting — ecosystems worldwide.
- Reviews & PreviewsIn the new book Darwin’s Backyard, a biologist explores Charles Darwin’s family life, as well as four decades’ worth of his at-home experiments.
- SoapboxWindmill-powered pumps on buoys throughout the Arctic Ocean could help bring back shrinking sea ice, researchers say.
- Reviews & PreviewsThree new books chronicle the science, history and cultural significance of total solar eclipses.
- Reviews & PreviewsIn "Cannibalism", a zoologist explores a grisly topic that scientists have only recently begun to study seriously.
- Reviews & Previews"Furry Logic" explores how animals rely on the laws of physics in pursuit of food, sex and survival.
- FeatureThe race is on to find about 140 predicted carbon-based minerals in locations around the world. Map included.
- Reviews & PreviewsThe Long, Long Life of Trees explores the scientific, historical and cultural significance of apple, birch, elm and 14 other kinds of trees.