Sid Perkins' Articles
- NewsThe rapid growth of Alaskan wetlands before 8,600 years ago was due to hotter summers and colder winters, which could spell trouble in a warmer world, a new study suggests.
- NewsLower reflectivity kept Earth from freezing under a fainter young sun.
- NewsAn uptick in ammonium may be evidence of a 50-billion-ton strike at the end of the ice age.
- NewsAustralian fossils suggest the kin of T. rex dispersed globally 110 million years ago.
- NewsNew discovery adds to the few known biological pathways for making and metabolically using the gas.
- NewsShark-bitten fecal matter probably came from an assault on an ancient croc.
- NewsEfforts to prevent global warming by fertilizing the oceans with iron could trigger harmful algal blooms.
- NewsCollagen gives the creatures a bug-catching advantage in chilly conditions.
- NewsMeasurements show that Arctic undersea methane deposits, previously thought to be sealed by permafrost, are leaking into the atmosphere.
- NewsChile’s February 27 temblor, tectonically linked to another giant quake 50 years ago, sped up the Earth’s rotation and tipped the planet’s axis.