Sid Perkins' Articles
- NewsMeasurements show that Arctic undersea methane deposits, previously thought to be sealed by permafrost, are leaking into the atmosphere.
- NewsChile’s February 27 temblor, tectonically linked to another giant quake 50 years ago, sped up the Earth’s rotation and tipped the planet’s axis.
- NewsA study of a rare Norwegian fossil narrows down when polar bears evolved and finds they are closely related to modern-day brown bears in Alaska.
- NewsDeep-sea currents can waft larvae hundreds of kilometers.
- On the SceneBlog: Over the past century, whale hunting released 128,000 Hummers’ worth of carbon into the atmosphere
- NewsOceanographers are finding more patches of floating polymers, some up to 20 meters deep.
- NewsIsotopic analyses of fossils suggest the carnivores had crocodile-like habits.
- NewsMineral crusts deposited 81,000 years ago in a Mediterranean island’s caves suggest an abrupt jump in sea level.
- NewsAnalysis of a fossil suggests plumage first evolved for display, not flight.