Sid Perkins is a freelance science writer based in Crossville, Tenn.
Sid Perkins' Articles
- Reviews & PreviewsIn A Naturalist Goes Fishing, a marine biologist takes readers on a round-the-world fishing expedition
- Reviews & PreviewsIn Gods of the Morning, a naturalist chronicles how birds and other wildlife withstand the changing seasons in the Scottish Highlands
- Reviews & PreviewsIn ‘The Reason for Flowers’, a pollination ecologist chronicles the science and culture of blossoms from the dawn of humanity.
- Reviews & Previews‘Dispatches from Dystopia’ chronicles adventures in modernist wastelands to recount tales of the invisible and the overlooked, the exiled and the dispossessed.
- Reviews & Previews‘Infested’ captivates with stories about the bloodsucking insects. Resurgent in many areas in the United States, bedbugs are the fastest-growing moneymaker in pest control.
- Reviews & Previews‘Rust’ recounts humanity’s unending battle against corrosion, which each year costs the United States an estimated $437 billion — more than all natural disasters combined.
- Society NewsTeens from 18 states will soon face off in the finals of the 2015 Intel Science Talent Search, the nation’s most prestigious science research competition for high school seniors.
- Reviews & PreviewsThe 18th century eruption of Iceland’s Laki volcano spewed sulfurous gases that briefly cooled the globe and probably contributed to the early deaths of tens of thousands of people.
- Reviews & PreviewsSuperstorm Sandy deluged New York City and could be a harbinger of future coastal flooding.
- Society NewsHolly Jackson of San Jose, Calif., zigzagged her way through three days of science, engineering and math challenges to win the top prize at the Broadcom MASTERS middle school science competition.