Here are many of the awards Science News and Science News for Students have received for their high-caliber journalism and design.
2018 Imagination Award
- Finalist, Content, Great American Eclipse package
2018 American Astronomical Society Solar Physics Division Popular Writing Award
- What will scientists learn from the Great American Eclipse?, Lisa Grossman
2018 AACR June L. Biedler Prize in Cancer Journalism
- Magazine Category, Cancer’s Sweet Cloak, Esther Landhuis, edited by Cori Vanchieri
2018 Folio: Eddie and Ozzie Awards
- Finalist, Eddie award for Column/Blog, Growth Curve
- Finalist, Eddie award for Long-Form Feature Content, The Road to Tameness, Tina Hesman Saey (July 8 & July 22, 2017 double issue)
- Finalist, Ozzie Award for Illustration, Flex Time, Alex Nabaum (September 16, 2017 issue)
- Finalist, Ozzie Award for Visual Digital Storytelling, Opioids Kill, Laura Sanders, Nicolle Rager Fuller, Cori Vanchieri, Kate Travis, Erin Otwell, Chang Won Chang & Alison Buki
2018 Communication Arts Illustration Award
2017 D.C. Science Writers Association Newsbrief Awards
- Honorable mention, Multimedia, Watch a badger bury a cow, Kate Travis and Sarah Zielinski
2017 Imagination Award
- Content, Gravitational Waves Special Report
2016 Folio: Awards
- Best single article, Consumer, Science, Gene Drives Unleashed, Tina Hesman Saey (Dec. 12, 2015 issue).
- Best series of articles, Consumer, Science, The discovery of gravitational waves. Physicists Detect Gravitational Waves – LIGO experiment reports first detection of spacetime vibrations, opening new window to the cosmos.
- Listening for Gravity Waves – News from Advanced LIGO means that Einstein’s theory can take us farther back than even he imagined.
- Cosmic Shake-up – All you need to know to understand the big detection.
- Online extra: What Are Gravitational Waves?
- Honorable mentions:
2016 Min Editorial & Design awards:
- Honorable mention, "Misfires in the gun control debate", Meghan Rosen, May 14, 2016
- Honorable mention, Website redesign, Science News for Students.
2016 AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Awards
- Silver Award, Children's science news, "The shocking electric eel!" Science News for Students, Roberta Kwok, June 2, 2016.
2015 D.C. Science Writers Association Newsbrief Awards
- Honorable Mention, "For penguins, it’s a matter of no taste", Tina Hesman Saey
- Honorable Mention, "Kangaroo gut microbes make eco-friendly farts", Beth Mole
2015 AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Awards
- Gold Award, Magazine, Alexandra Witze, Contributing Correspondent for Science News, for her work in both Nature and Science News: "Let the River Run" (in Science News) from Jan. 10, 2015, "The Quake Hunters" (in Nature) from July 9, 2015; and "The Pluto Siblings" (in Nature) from Feb. 26, 2015.
- Gold Award, Children's science news, "Where will lightning strike?" , Stephen Ornes , Sept. 16, 2014
Ohio Society of Professional Journalists
- Best Medical/Science story, "Recycling the Dead", Kathiann Kowalski, September 27, 2014, Science News for Students
2015 Eddie and Ozzie Awards
- Best Consumer Single Article, Science: "The Martian Diaries: What if the Curiosity rover kept a scrapbook?"
- Honorable Mentions
2015 Online News Association Awards
- Best Feature for a Small Organization --"The Martian Diaries: What if the Curiosity rover kept a scrapbook?"
2015 American Institute of Physics Science Communications Award
- “The mysterious boundary", Andrew Grant, May 16, 2014
2014 Folio: Eddie and Ozzie Awards
- Best Consumer Single Article in Science and Technology-- "Impactful Distraction", Nathan Seppa, August 2013
- Honorable Mentions
- Best consumer full issue in science and technology-- January 11, 2013 issue of Science News
- Best consumer general interest column or blog-- Gory Details, a Science News blog
- Best cover design for a consumer magazine with circulation less than 250,000-- for the photo illustrated Niels Bohr cover designed by Stephen Egts
- Best consumer news/science website -- Science News
2014 American Institute of Physics Science Communications Award
- "Spinning the core", Alexandra Witze, May 2013
2014 American Geophysical Union's David Perlman Award for Excellence in Science Journalism
- "At last, Voyager 1 slips into interstellar space", Andrew Grant, September 2013
2014 Webby Awards
- ScienceNews.org was chosen as one of ten Official Honorees in the Science category of the 18th annual Webby Awards.
2014 DC Science Writers Association Newsbrief Awards
- First Place-- "Paralyzed rats relearn to pee", Meghan Rosen
- Honorable Mention-- "Mole sniffs the world in stereo", Tina Hesman Saey
- Honorable Mention-- "Single electron caught in action", Andrew Grant
2013 Folio: Eddie and Ozzie Awards
- Best Single Article-- "No New Meds", Laura Sanders, February 23, 2013, Science News
2013 DC Science Writers Association Newsbrief Award
- Honorable Mention— "All Dinosaurs May Have Had Feathers", Meghan Rosen, July 2012
- Honorable Mention— "Bees More Cuckoo than Birds", Susan Milius, October 15, 2012, available exclusively in Science News Prime.
2013 American Meteorological Society's Award for Distinguished Science Journalism in the Atmospheric and Related Sciences
- "Rivers in the Sky", Alexandra Witze, February 26, 2012.
2012 Folio: Eddie and Ozzie Awards
- Silver, Best Cover—“Drool” issue, November 2011
- Silver, Best Standalone Digital Magazine—April 30, 2012 issue, Science News Prime
- Bronze, Best Series of Articles—“Consciousness” series
2012 Media Industry News Editorial & Design Award
- Coverage of the Higgs discovery (multiple issues)
2012 David Stolberg Meritorious Service Award
- Janet Raloff, Senior Editor, for exceptional volunteer work
2012 Endocrine Society Award for Excellence in Science and Medical Journalism
- "The Power of D", Nathan Seppa, July 16, 2011, Science News
2012 DC Science Writers Association Newsbrief Award
- Newsbrief Award—“Iapetus Gets Dusted”, Nadia Drake, August 13, 2011, Science News
- Honorable Mention—“Fruit of the Loo”, Nadia Drake, September 10, 2011, Science News
- Honorable Mention—“Hidden Dalliance Revealed by X-Rays”, Rachel Ehrenberg, March 31, 2011, Science News
Genetics Society of America (GSA) Excellence in Research and Journalism
- “Molecular Evolution”, Tina Saey, January 31, 2009, Science News
2010 Endocrine Society Award for Excellence in Science and Medical Journalism
- “Dying to Sleep”, Tina Saey, October 24, 2009, Science News
2009 Science Writing Award in Acoustics for Journalists
- Rachel Ehrenberg, Writer, Science News
2009 Kavli/AAAS Science Journalism Award for Children's Science News
- Douglas Fox, Freelance Writer, Science News for Kids
2009 Distinguished Science Journalism Award in the Atmospheric and Related Sciences from the American Meteorological Society
- Sid Perkins, Writer, Science News
2009 Eddie Award from Folio: Magazine
- Bronze, Full Issue, Association/Non-profit Category—Science News
Society of National Association Publications
- Bronze, General Excellence, Magazines with 100,000+ circulation—Science News
- Silver, Most Improved, Magazines with 50,000+ circulation—Science News
Society of News Design—Best of News Design Competition
- Excellence, Cover Design— “Darwin” cover, January 31, 2009
- Excellence, Photography—Cary Wolinsky, Photographer, for work from the January 31, 2009; February 14, 2009; August 1, 2009; and November 21, 2009 issues of Science News