Search Content | Science News

Support Science Journalism

Science News is a nonprofit.

Support us by subscribing now.

Search Content

E.g., 04/25/2019
E.g., 04/25/2019
Your search has returned 23 articles:
  • Feature

    Smart from the start

    Karen Warkentin speaks admiringly of the eggs of red-eyed tree frogs because, for one thing, they know what’s shaking.

    Masses of these glistening eggs hang on leaves that dangle over tropical ponds, and the eggs stay put even when branches thrash in storms. A hungry snake biting into one end of an egg mass can make the embryos’ home dip and dance too...

    07/31/2009 - 14:20
  • Feature

    Stars go kaboom, spilling cosmic secrets

    At least once a second, a dim, elderly star somewhere in the cosmos turns into a thermonuclear bomb. Briefly outshining its home galaxy, the explosion, known as a type 1a supernova, unleashes the equivalent of 1028 megatons of TNT — enough energy to destroy an entire solar system.Astronomers have marveled at these cosmic firecrackers for centuries. But so far nobody has explained in detail...

    07/31/2009 - 14:18 Planetary Science, Astronomy
  • Feature

    Venom hunters

    When the monitor lizard chomped into Bryan Fry, it did more than turn his hand into a bloody mess. Besides ripping skin and severing tendons, the lizard delivered noxious venom into Fry’s body, injecting molecules that quickly thinned his blood and dilated his vessels. As the tiny toxic assassins dispersed throughout his circulatory system, they hit their targets with speed and precision,...

    07/31/2009 - 14:17
  • Comment

    Tackling toxicology and environmental health

    In January, toxicologist Linda S. Birnbaum became director of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, home to the National Toxicology Program, in Research Triangle Park, N.C. Birnbaum recently spoke with Science News writer Rachel Ehrenberg.

    What areas would you like to see the institute zoom in on?

    One of the things I’ve been really working on is to...

    07/31/2009 - 11:04
  • Science Future

    Science Future for August 15, 2009

    August 31–September 4

    Scientists and policy makers meet at the World Climate Conference-3 in Geneva. Visit

    September 2–6

    IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society meeting in Minneapolis. See

    September 12–16

    Educators explore new teaching methods at the Astronomical Society of the Pacific meeting in Millbrae...

    07/31/2009 - 10:55
  • Science Past from the issue of August 15, 1959

    Complex “Moon” Succeeds — Explorer VI, sent up on Aug. 7, is the most complex satellite launched by the United States. The 142-pound satellite orbits the earth from 150 miles at its lowest point to some 25,000 miles at its farthest... This highly elliptical flight path means that the satellite’s instruments will cover a larger volume of space near earth for a longer time than any...

    07/31/2009 - 10:54
  • Letters to the Editor


    Making tall or short of it

    In your article “The genetic dimension of height and health” (SN: 5/9/09, p. 22), some medical consequences of being either taller or shorter than the median height of the study group are explained. To help us all extrapolate these findings to our own lives, don’t you think it would have been helpful to state what the average heights for men and women are...
    07/31/2009 - 10:50
  • Reviews & Previews

    Book Review: The Root of Thought: Unlocking Glia--The Brain Cell That Will Help Us Sharpen Our Wits, Heal Injury, and Treat Brain Disease by Andrew Koob

    It is famously — and incorrectly — said that humans use only 10 percent of their brains. The claim stems from the observation that only about 10 percent of brain cells are neurons, electrically active cells thought to carry and store information. This book celebrates the other 90 percent, cells known as glia.Once thought to merely hold the brain together, glia are now recognized as an...

    07/31/2009 - 10:38 Cells, Neuroscience
  • Reviews & Previews

    Shorebirds of North America, Europe, and Asia: A Photographic Guide by Richard Chandler

    A shorebird photographer offers detailed commentary on and vivid photos of 135 shorebird species. But no gulls.Princeton Univ., 2009, 448 p., $35.

    07/31/2009 - 10:23
  • Reviews & Previews

    Force and Motion: An Illustrated Guide to Newton’s Laws by Jason Zimba

    Problem sets help high school and college students of all backgrounds understand mechanics.Johns Hopkins Univ., 2009, 428 p., $50

    07/31/2009 - 10:22