John Travis' Articles
- FeatureThese immune molecules may directly kill, not just tag, microbes.
- NewsUsed for decades to treat manic depression, lithium may stimulate the production of new brain cells, thus raising hope that it can treat strokes, Alzheimer's disease, and other conditions that kill brain cells.
- NewsPrions, the proteins behind mad cow disease, may travel between cells in bubbles called exosomes.
- NewsAn antimicrobial protein may also trigger maturation of sperm.
- NewsGenes that make brain chemicals may have been acquired from bacteria.
- NewsA protein in milk stimulates bone-forming cells.
- NewsKilling the blood vessels that sustain fat tissue causes obese mice to lose weight.
- NewsFor worms, longer chromosome tips mean longer lives.
- NewsThe most thorough DNA analysis yet of purebred dogs suggests that canine breeds can also be discerned genetically with great accuracy.
- NewsMicroscopic particles in the air may mutate the DNA of sperm.