Andrew Grant's Articles
- FeatureCar engines and batteries run because of the second law of thermodynamics, which appears to work, with just a little bending, for ultrasmall engines in the quantum realm as well.
- NewsGravitational waves, tremors in the cosmic fabric of space and time predicted by Einstein a century ago, have finally been detected, opening a new avenue for exploring the universe.
- News in BriefStrong evidence of a tetraneutron, an atomic nucleus with four neutrons but no protons, defies physicists’ theoretical expectations.
- NewsMultiple versions of history may be quantum entangled just like particles, a new experiment suggests.
- Science TickerAdvanced LIGO has completed its first search for gravitational waves. Researchers are crunching the data as rumors swirl of a detection.
- Science VisualizedRecent computer simulations reveal how hummingbirds manipulate the air around them to aid in flight.
- Say What?Scientists may have discovered a dwarf galaxy that triggered a “galaxy quake” when it buzzed by the Milky Way a few hundred million years ago.
- NewsA new catalog of the ages of our galaxy’s stars confirms that the Milky Way grew from the inside out.
- News in BriefA 12-billion-year-old gas cloud, rich in hydrogen and helium but nothing else, may house the remains of the universe’s first stars.
- News in BriefStephen Hawking and colleagues have finally provided more information about how black holes might preserve information.