John Pickrell's Articles
- NewsA new type of miniaturized rocket may bring microspacecraft one step closer to reality.
- NewsScientists have discovered a gene that controls whether flowers lean to the left or the right.
- FeatureResearchers are using new methods of comparing languages to reveal information about the ancestry of different cultural groups and answer questions about human history.
- NewsNASA satellite observations show that Earth's outer atmosphere interacts dramatically with the solar wind and shields the planet from it.
- NewsThe first completed diet-restriction study in a large animal shows that labrador retrievers fed 25 percent less food than those allowed to eat as much as they desired tend to live longer and suffer fewer age-related diseases.
- FeatureZoologists are hoping that long-term ecological studies of the spotted hyena will assist in dispelling the animal's undeservedly bad reputation.
- NewsResearchers report a strong relationship between eye size and the light intensity at which birds start to sing in the morning.
- NewsResearchers discovered a relative of the blood protein hemoglobin in all the body's tissues.
- NewsScientists have created transgenic chickens able to produce foreign proteins—and, potentially, pharmaceuticals—in their eggs.
- FeatureResearchers around the world are catching on to the idea of using satellites to predict where diseases may strike.