Sid Perkins' Articles
- Reviews & PreviewsIn "On the Wing," a biomechanicist reviews how animals took to the air.
- Reviews & PreviewsIn A Naturalist Goes Fishing, a marine biologist takes readers on a round-the-world fishing expedition
- Reviews & PreviewsIn Gods of the Morning, a naturalist chronicles how birds and other wildlife withstand the changing seasons in the Scottish Highlands
- Reviews & PreviewsIn ‘The Reason for Flowers’, a pollination ecologist chronicles the science and culture of blossoms from the dawn of humanity.
- Reviews & Previews‘Dispatches from Dystopia’ chronicles adventures in modernist wastelands to recount tales of the invisible and the overlooked, the exiled and the dispossessed.
- Reviews & Previews‘Infested’ captivates with stories about the bloodsucking insects. Resurgent in many areas in the United States, bedbugs are the fastest-growing moneymaker in pest control.
- Reviews & Previews‘Rust’ recounts humanity’s unending battle against corrosion, which each year costs the United States an estimated $437 billion — more than all natural disasters combined.
- Society NewsTeens from 18 states will soon face off in the finals of the 2015 Intel Science Talent Search, the nation’s most prestigious science research competition for high school seniors.
- Reviews & PreviewsThe 18th century eruption of Iceland’s Laki volcano spewed sulfurous gases that briefly cooled the globe and probably contributed to the early deaths of tens of thousands of people.
- Reviews & PreviewsSuperstorm Sandy deluged New York City and could be a harbinger of future coastal flooding.