Ashley Yeager's Articles
- News in BriefEggs of some species of warbler and weaver birds appear to have individual signatures, which can help distinguish them from the eggs of parasitic cuckoos.
- Science TickerThe European Space Agency has received signals for its comet lander Philae, which touched down on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko in November and has been in hibernation since.
- NewsHints of blood and collagen found in poorly preserved dinosaur bones suggest that soft tissue from the creatures may be easier to come by.
- Science TickerHere's a roundup of some fossil finds reported this week.
- Science TickerA protein called PdS15 found in the saliva of the sand fly that spreads leishmaniasis may be used in a vaccine to combat the parasitic scourge causing the illness.
- Science TickerHumans and dogs aren't the only ones that can pass along a yawn. They appear to be contagious among parakeets, too.
- Science TickerNew Caledonian crows safeguard the sticks they use to find food. As the risk of losing the tool increases, the more protective the birds become.
- Growth CurveLearning to swim early in life may boost kids’ learning in language and math.
- Science TickerIdentifying genes linked with sepsis may make it possible to develop a blood test to diagnose the infection days sooner than current methods.
- Science TickerBrown fat is supposed to be the friendly kind, but making the days longer with artificial light may turn it into an enemy in the battle against obesity.