Ashley Yeager's Articles
- News in BriefOver the planet’s history, the Martian atmosphere has lost 66 percent of its argon and a majority of its carbon dioxide, according to data from NASA’s MAVEN spacecraft.
- NewsGravitational waves may have given a supermassive black hole a big kick, with enough energy to send it flying toward the edges of its host galaxy.
- SoapboxAstronomers can have their definition of a planet, but some planetary scientists plan to stick to the long-held meaning of the word.
- NewsPluto’s collapsing atmosphere may explain the dwarf planet’s seemingly random ruddy spots.
- News in BriefLandslides on comet 67P shot plumes of dust into space, but changes like these might not radically alter the landscape of the comet.
- NewsSlower-than-expected velocities of stars in distant galaxies, if confirmed, could reshape astronomers’ ideas of galaxy formation and evolution.
- NewsThe first stardust ever generated in the universe may have been spotted in a distant galaxy, seen as it was 600 million years after the Big Bang.
- NewsThe turbulent winds that swirl around black holes are probably driven by magnetic fields, scientists say.
- News in BriefVolcanoes that spew hydrogen could increase the number of potentially habitable planets in the universe.
- The –estA supermassive black hole about 1.8 billion light-years away has been gorging on the same star for a record-breaking decade.