Ben Harder's Articles
- NewsA decades-old form of the anticlotting drug heparin is as safe, as effective, and potentially as convenient to use as recent derivatives that are many times more expensive.
- NewsExposure to certain pollutants early in life may do lasting harm to the immune system by blocking its response to vaccinations.
- NewsThe high rate of prostate cancer among African American men may result in large part from a newly identified stretch of DNA passed down from their African ancestors.
- NewsMen who expose themselves to excessive heat in the weeks before they conceive children may place their future offspring at unnecessary risk of brain cancer.
- Food for ThoughtMany campers who wash their dishes in the wilderness use methods that don't consistently remove all bacteria.
- NewsIncense and candles release substantial quantities of pollutants that may harm health.
- FeatureNew and experimental methods of screening for colorectal cancer that patients find less unpleasant than current tests could take a bite out of the malignancy's toll.
- NewsEating cayenne pepper with meals may mitigate a hormonal response to food that's linked to diabetes.
- NewsPara-dichlorobenzene, a chemical in some air fresheners and pest-control products, may slightly impair lung function in millions of people.
- NewsNaming a medical trial with an acronym increases the frequency with which other researchers subsequently cite the study.