Christen Brownlee's Articles
- NewsThe antiacne drug Accutane may decrease activity in a part of the brain that regulates mood.
- NewsYoung mice exposed to a common type of antidepressant, known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), showed symptoms of anxiety and depression in adulthood.
- FeatureInserting genes for extra strength or speed could give athletes an unbeatable, and perhaps undetectable, advantage in competitive sports.
- NewsNew evidence supports the theory that Mexican blind cavefish are sightless by evolutionary selection, not chance.
- NewsVariations in a single gene may have dramatically increased the virulence of 1918 Spanish flu.
- NewsA type of DNA once thought to be little more than genetic clutter may play a role in gene expression in mammalian eggs and newly formed embryos.
- NewsNobel prizes in the sciences went to research on olfactory genes, subatomic particles, and the molecular kiss of death.
- NewsTracking genetic mutations has given researchers a tentative picture of the migration patterns of the Roma, or Gypsies, over the last millennium.
- NewsBone marrow–derived cells linger in skin wounds much longer than previously thought, aiding in healing.
- NewsA new study suggests that the common fruit fly has cells that function much as those in the human pancreas do.