Jessica Gorman's Articles
- NewsIn identifying the chemical responsible for the color of many yellow flowers, scientists have moved one step closer to engineering sunny-colored designer buds.
- FeatureChemistry resurrects—in Philadelphia—an ancient funeral banquet.
- NewsA recent NASA flight test of ultrahigh-temperature ceramic materials might lead to a new aerospace design that would make the space shuttle look downright old-fashioned.
- NewsResearchers have created pairs of silicon atoms that stay level instead of slowly rocking in place, permitting scientists to study silicon-surface reactions in unprecedented detail.
- NewsA new type of synthetic crystal called moissanite allows researchers to study more material at high pressure than is possible with traditional diamond devices.
- NewsA novel electrochemical method improves the surface of stainless steel without making the metal brittle or prone to corrosion.
- NewsThe Nobel Prize in Chemistry went to three researchers for the discovery and development of plastics that conduct electricity.
- FeatureEngineers take aim at increasing the density of data storage on magnetic media.
- NewsAn extraterrestrial source may explain why Earth's mantle holds more platinum, gold, and certain other elements than it should.
- NewsDeep in a Wisconsin mine, researchers have uncovered a new way for crystals to grow in nature.